Santa Clarita Juvenile Defense Attorneys
When minors face criminal charges, their freedom and future can hang in the balance. Having a strong defense against juvenile criminal charges, however, can be the key to protecting minors and favorably resolving these cases.
At the Law Office of Gary Symonds, our Santa Clarita lawyers are experienced at defending minors against various types of juvenile criminal charges. Backed by decades of litigation and courtroom experience, our barristers are fierce, effective advocates for children and teenagers who have been accused of various crimes.
Let our attorneys put this experience to work helping you:
- Identify the best options for fighting juvenile criminal charges
- Build and present the strongest possible defense case
- Successfully navigate the juvenile criminal justice system.
Defending Minors against Juvenile Criminal Charges
Like criminal charges for adults, juvenile offenses can be filed as misdemeanors or felonies, depending on the circumstances of the alleged crime. Some of the factors that can impact whether a juvenile offense is charged as a misdemeanor or felony include (but may not be limited to):
- Whether anyone was hurt in the course of the alleged offense
- Whether the minor has a criminal record or prior criminal convictions.
The Santa Clarita criminal attorneys at the Law Office of Gary Symonds are skilled at representing minors in a range of juvenile cases, including (but not limited to) those that involve charges of:
- Computer and internet crimes, such as illegal hacking and identity theft
- Drug crimes, like possession, trafficking and distribution
- Property crimes, such as theft, shoplifting and vandalism
- Sex crimes, like lewd conduct and sexual assault
- Traffic offenses, such as DUI and reckless driving
- Violent crimes, like assault, kidnapping and homicide
- Other misdemeanor and felony offenses, such as weapons charges.
Our lawyers also represent minors in probation violation cases and criminal appeals cases.
Juvenile Criminal Charges & Cases: More Important Information
- Potential penalties for juvenile offenses – One of the main goals of the California juvenile criminal justice system is to rehabilitate and treat juvenile offenders (rather than simply punishing them).1 As a result, a range of possible penalties may be imposed when a minor is convicted of a crime. These penalties can include (but may not be limited to):
- Incarceration in a juvenile detention facility
- Fines and/or community service
- Alternative sentencing, such as probation, house arrest or counseling/treatment programs.
- When juveniles may be charged as adults – In some cases, the severity of a offense can open up the possibility for prosecutors to charge a minor as an adult. This can happen, for instance, when homicide or other violent crimes have allegedly been committed. It can also occur when a minor has prior felony convictions on his or her record. When juveniles face adult-level criminal charges:
- The potential penalties can be far more severe if a conviction occurs.
- Having a strong defense case will be essential to reducing the possibility of conviction (and having to serve prison time).
- Expungements for juvenile offenders2 – When minors have been charged with certain nonviolent crimes, their criminal records may be automatically sealed by the courts (when they turn 18) if the charges were dismissed or the minor was acquitted. Expungements may also be available for juvenile criminal convictions (under certain conditions). An attorney can review the facts of your situation and inform you whether you qualify for an expungement of a juvenile record.
Get Effective Help Fighting Juvenile Criminal Charges: Contact a Santa Clarita Criminal Defense Lawyer at the Law Office of Gary Symonds
If you are facing juvenile criminal charges – or if your child has been accused of a crime, contact a Santa Clarita criminal defense lawyer at the Law Office of Gary Symonds by calling (661) 253-3700 or by emailing us via the contact form on this page. Our lawyers are ready to help you fight for justice and the best possible outcome to your case.
We provide free initial consultations – with no time limitations – in order to help the accused obtain essential information their rights, their case and their best defense options.
From offices based in Santa Clarita, we provide superior advocacy and the highest quality defense representation to adult and juvenile clients throughout Northern Los Angeles and the state of California.